Chat with us, powered by LiveChat


You are able to make a claim for workers’ compensation whether you have needed time off work or not. A claim for workers compensation may include lost wages, medical and hospital costs and rehabilitation costs as well as lost income. The workers’ compensation legislation is complex and you may not be aware of your rights and entitlements, particularly with regards to a common law claim for damages. To discover what you can claim, call Peninsula Personal Injury Lawyers on 9581 4339.


What is the time limit for claiming?

If you have been injured in an accident at your place of work, it is important to claim as soon as is practicable within 12 months of the injury. If you are outside 12 months, you should seek legal advice immediately.

If you have a common law claim against your employer in negligence, legal proceedings must be commenced within 3 years from the date of the accident.

What do I do if I suffer an injury at work?

You must report the accident to your employer and attend your doctor for medical advice.
You are also entitled to make a workers’ compensation claim, whether you need time off work or not. To make a valid claim the claim, you must complete a Form 2B Claim Form and your doctor must complete a First Medical Certificate and you must provide both of those documents to your employer. This must be done within 12 months from the date of the injury. Remember to keep a copy of your claim form and certificate for your records.

What happens after I submit my claim form and first medical certificate?

Your employer must provide the documents to it’s workers compensation insurer within 5 working days, and the insurer must provide you with it’s decision with regards to liability within 14 days after that.

What if the insurer pends or declines liability for my claim?

Then there is a dispute in relation to your claim and you should seek expert legal advice from a personal injury lawyer to assist in resolving that dispute.

If my claim is accepted what does the insurer pay for?

For the time that your require off work, the insurer should pay weekly or fortnightly compensation payments. The insurer should also pay for medical treatment (eg doctors, specialist, physiotherapy, chiropractic, hospital, psychological) and rehabilitation costs, if you require rehabilitation. There are maximum amounts which apply and you should seek expert legal advice from a personal injury lawyer.

What if I can’t return to the work I was doing before the accident?

You are entitled to have a vocational rehabilitation provider appointed to assist with your return to work and you are able to choose the rehabilitation provider you wish to appoint.

What is a common law claim?
A common law claim is commenced in the District Court of Western Australia and is a claim for damages (compensation) against your employer for negligence in causing your injury.

Do I have a common law claim?

You are not able to pursue a common law claim unless your Whole Person Impairment is assessed at at least 15% and you make an Election to Retain the Right to Seek Common Law Damages by the Termination Date. The Termination Date is the date 12 months from the date you make the claim for weekly compensation payments. To ensure that you do not miss your opportunity to determine whether you have a common law claim you must obtain expert legal advice from a personal injury lawyer, at least 3 months prior to your Termination Date.

Am I entitled to a lump sum settlement?

You may be entitled to a Schedule 2 Lump Sum which is determined by the percentage impairment you have suffered in the particular part of the body which has been injured. You may also be entitled to a redemption of your wages and/or medical and rehabilitation expenses. To obtain evidence to maximise your financial entitlement you should seek expert advice from a specialist personal injury lawyer.

When is the right time to settle my claim?

It is recommended that your claim is settled when your medical condition has reached maximum medical improvement and an assessment of your impairment, your work capacity and future treatment needs has been made. If you think that your employer was at fault in causing your injury, you should not settle your claim until you have had your Whole Person Impairment has been assessed and you should seek expert legal advice.

The right time to settle your claim could be more than 12 months from the date you suffered your injury. You should have all medical and other evidence available prior to settling your claim and you should seek legal advice from a specialist personal injury lawyer to help you maximise your financial entitlement.


  • Thanking Justin, Natasha and the team at Peninsula Personal Injury Lawyers for all your help with my compensation claim. I will recommend my family and friends to you guys for any help they need in the future.

    Emily Sayers
  • Peninsula Personal Injury Lawyer’s were very friendly and helpful. They made the process stress free and got me an even better result than I could imagine. Thank you from the bottom of my heart, you are wonderful and we will recommend you guys 10 times over.

    Brooke Marcus
  • Thank you to Natasha, Justin, the effectient team at Peninsula Personal Injury Lawyers. The effort made to help me through a difficult time was incredible. To be supported, guided at a time of confusion and stress by compassionate and capable people means a great deal.

    Margaret Hector
  • I would like to thank Justin for all of his hard work on my mums workers compensation case. His hard work, professionalism and time invested was greatly appreciated and made this difficult time easier for my mum.

    Tanya Millett
  • Natasha and the team at PPIL deliver fantastic and professional service to their clients. They clearly explain your rights and entitlements ensuring the interests of the client are protected. Not all lawyers are the same! I wouldn't hesitate to use their services again if the need arises.

    Sarah Dixon
  • Natasha, Justin and their friendly professional team made the process stress free and straight forward when it all seemed too hard to deal with for me at the time! Peninsula staff set my mind at ease and explained every step for a positive result. I cannot thank them enough and feel totally confident recommending them to anyone needing advice and help with an injury claim.

    Janine Sheed
  • All I can say is wow, the support that Justin gave my daughter during her workers comp claim. Can not recommend the whole company enough, Justin explained what to expect and how it will all go and was spot on, a true gentleman to deal with. Thanks again.

    B & L Stampton
  • Exceptional service from start to finish. Professional and courteous at all stages of my case. Natasha and Justin always offered clear and concise updates. Highly recommended company with superb staff! Truly a pleasure to deal with.

    Mark McCorry
  • Thank you so much Natasha and staff for making my settlement clear and efficient. Anytime I needed to communicate regarding settlement they were always happy to speak with me.

    Donna Smith
  • PPIL have been outstanding with their explanations of my claim and always being available with sound advice. I have recommended them to friends and would utilise their services again, if the need ever arose

    Kim Robosson