Chat with us, powered by LiveChat

What To Do If You Are Injured In A Motor Vehicle Accident

 In Blog, Motor Vehicle Accident Compensation Claims

Unfortunately in life, accidents do happen. If you have been involved in a motorbike or motor vehicle accident, or even if you were a cyclist or pedestrian involved in a car accident, you should make sure that you cover some very important steps.

To give you some background information, the Insurance Commission of Western Australia is the compulsory third party insurer in Western Australia. By law, all drivers have to have compulsory third party insurance (CTP) which is contained as a part of their motor vehicle registration. This CTP is automatically applied every time vehicle registration is renewed.

CTP insurance protects negligent drivers from claims that may be made against them arising from injury or death caused by their negligent driving. Therefore, if you are injured as a result of someone else’s negligent driving,  you have the comfort knowing that there is a compulsory third party insurer on risk.

Note that compulsory third party insurance covers you from personal injury you have suffered, not the  property damage to your vehicle or your other possessions. You or the other party may, or may not have, separate property damage coverage with other insurers to cover those losses.

In this blog, I am only referring to personal injury claims.

To make sure that you have everything covered:

  1. At the accident scene:
  • Your first priority is for your health and safety. Make sure you are out of harm’s way and if you need an ambulance call one, or have someone else call one for you.
  • Exchange names, phone numbers and vehicle registration numbers of yourself, the other driver and any witnesses.. I appreciate that tensions may be high and you may not be thinking straight, but make an effort to get these. Any witness details are important as if there are any subsequent issues about who was at fault in causing the accident, their evidence is invaluable.
  • You do not admit any liability, even if you think that you may have caused or contributed to the motorbike or motor vehicle accident. Your evidence will later be sought so that the Insurance Commission of Western Australia can make a decision with regards to liability, either with regards to a claim made on your behalf, or against you..
  1. As soon as possible after the accident
  • If you are injured or experiencing any pain, visit your doctor to report your symptoms, have the required treatment or obtain referrals for the treatment. The doctor’s record of you condition and symptoms will provide the evidence to support any claim for personal injury you may choose to make. You may have already been to the hospital following the accident. If you continue to experience symptoms, make sure you go to see your doctor.
  • Make sure you keep receipts for any expenses you have incurred for medical treatment, medication and travelling.


  1. When the time is right
  • If you are injured from the motorbike or motor vehicle accident, and the injury was caused by the negligence of a third party, you can make a claim by clicking on this link:

This will start the process and it is recommended that you also seek specialist legal advice. I will be back shortly with  a follow up blog on the ins and outs, and tips on how to navigate through the claims process.

Until then If you have any questions please don’t hesitate to contact me on, 9581 4339 or 0488 700 596.

Recent Posts

Leave a Comment